Monday 7 December 2009

The Start of my Training with Train2Game.

Hey guys,

So this is the first post, of hopefully many, that will be an insight into the course I'm taking. I am currently looking at going into a career in the games industry and have just begun a course in Computer Games design. Now I thought that I could start sharing my experience of the course from the outset so that anyone else looking to take the same course can use my experience to help them make the decision to begin the same training, or else, to go another way.

Now this course in for people in the UK and is what's known as a distance learning course and for those who don't know what that is - it is basically a course done from home that gets sent in modules through the post or via the Internet. Now in this case I will have two exams to complete throughout the course and one final exam to complete it, these will be done at a test centre that is local to me. The course will be completed in anything from 1-3 years depending on how much time can be donated to it. In my case I am still going to be working a full time job so it will most likely be between the 2-3 year mark.

I have been given the first section of the course by the chap who came out to interview me, and he did quite a thorough job of it too! He made sure that I had a passion for the subject, and of course being a fairly avid gamer, I am. He also made sure that I was going to stick with the course and that I also had all the right influences pushing me in the right direction. He made me aware of the route that I would most likely take into a career, as a QA tester (quality assurance) and that I could progress from there if I was talented enough and if I had enough commitment. He took me through the course sections and made me aware that by the end of the course I would have made my own game ready to market and that this would act as my portfolio to take to interviews as my proof of what I can do, which I already knew I would need to get anywhere after the course as games companies generally aren't interested in what qualifications you have on your CV but rather what you are physically capable of.

So this is basically the end of my introduction for my experience and I will keep you updated on what happens next and how I find the first section.

Feel free to ask questions that you feel I haven't answered and I'll do my best to answer them.

All the best,

Tommy English.

No comments: