Friday 6 January 2012

How time flies!!

Hey Peeps, Happy New New Year!

It seem 2 new years have come and gone since last we met! ;-) So it has been a loooong time since my last post and a lot has happened since then- I have competed section 1, taken the exam, passed, started section 2 and am about to start my portfolio! Ok so course wise not that much has happened when you look at it like that!  It's all going well so far a lot more 100%s to add to my pass rates and I'm looking forward to start working on some of my own projects for my portfolio. I'm quite far behind in terms of my time to sections complete ratio (3 year course, 3 sections, I'm 2 years in and have done a 3rd of the 2nd section). With one year left to go and more than half the course to complete, I had better get cracking!
I must admit that it has been hard over the past year as my job has been wiping the floor with most of my time and keeping motivated to do course work whilst reading reports that UK game studios are closing left right and centre has been hard to say the least!

As always any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I do still get emails despite the fact that the blog has been "sleeping" for over a year and I will try to start blogging again. All the best for the new year, InCOGnito.

8 comments:

jack said...

I heard the uk games industry is now growing again and its only struggling because of the lack of home grown qualified games designers, is this true?

Adam Prescott said...

Hi Jack,

I think this is probably a part of the problem but not the only reason. My best advice would be to check out gamesindustry.biz and see their jobs section. They also do studies on things like this too.

Hope that helped :-)

jack said...

Thanks it has helped. What do you aim to do by completing this course? Do you aim to start a conpany or join one? For example, if i do this course instead of/ as well as go to uni in once i complete my a2's i want to start an indie game company. What about you?

Adam Prescott said...

Hi Jack,

That's a good question. I think the dream is to work on a triple A game with a huge company but the set back with that is that to get a job at said company I would have had to have been a part of shipping a AAA game before. I think I will probably end up starting out at QA testing and work up from there. :-)

jack said...

I think ideally for me i would start a small indie game company that then expands into AAA games, but its very unlikely for that to happen

Adam Prescott said...

Hi Jack,

You never know! Look at the guy who made angry birds or the company who made Limbo. It only takes one popular game and you're off!

Unknown said...

Did you ever finish this course in the end?
If so did it help you to get a job?
I ended up reporting t2g to the fraud squad because it all seemed a bit dodgy they thought so too.
Let me know how you got on please.

Adam Prescott said...

Hi Bob,

I didn't no but not because the course was a fraud. Computer games design wasn't what I thought it would be so I ended up not extending my deadline. If you do go for it I would be careful of which subject you choose as the person that comes to sell it to you is there for his/her comission. Cheers Adam